President Ram Nath Kovind confers prestigious Science and Technology awards
President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Science and Technology awards on the foundation day of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) on September 26, 2019. The awards were presented at a function at the Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
The Science and Technology awards honor individuals for their outstanding contribution in the field of science and technology. While addressing the occasion, the President said, “Science and technology is one of the key levers to achieve India’s national goals and to address the larger concerns confronting humanity. “
The President further said that India’s success in achieving a 5-trillion dollar economy by 2025, its commitment to achieving the SDGs and its wish to address global concerns such as climate change, will largely depend on finding creative solutions based on scientific research. The President also emphasized on providing equal opportunities to girl children. He stated that no success will have any meaning if there are no equal opportunities for girl children.
The President also applauded CSIR’s accomplishments and its technological interventions towards the socio-economic development of the nation.
• The President presented the CSIR Technology Awards to CSIR teams and the GN Ramachandran Gold Medal to Prof. Amitabha Chattopadhyay of CSIR-CCMB.
• The Union Science and Technology Minister also presented the CSIR Young Scientist Awards, CSIR Innovation Award for School Children and Diamond Jubilee Technology Awards on the occasion.
• The Minister also handed over a prototype of the high-temperature fuel cell, an indigenous technology which has been developed by CSIR, to the President.
• A book with the title “Bhatnagar Laureates 1958-2018” was also released on the occasion.
• The prestigious Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards 2019 were also announced during the occasion. The awards are considered the highest multi-disciplinary science awards in India.
Full List of winners:
G N Ramachandran Gold Medal for Excellence in Biological Sciences & Technology 2019
Prof. Amitabha Chattopadhyay of CSIR-CCMB
Outstanding contribution in understanding dynamics and lipid-protein interaction in biomembranes
CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2017
Cadila Healthcare Limited
For the development of ‘Saroglitazar’- India’s first indigenously discovered and developed New Chemical Entity (NCE) and the world’s first approved drug for treating diabetic dyslipidemia.
CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2018
Carborundum Universal Limited
For the development of metalized alumina Ceramics like metalized alumina cylinders.
CSIR Innovation Award for School Children-2019
First prize-Anmol Rathi and Harsh Agrawal
For innovation on a novel technique for early detection of pancreatic cancer through spermine level in human saliva.
CSIR Technology Awards for the Year 2019
Life Sciences award
For developing ‘a novel osteoinductive molecule S-008-399 as a medicated biodegradable bone implant material for fast fracture-healing’.
CSIR-CSMCRI and M/S Chern Process Systems Private Limited
For zero-waste process for recovery of potash fertilizer, water & another value-added byproduct (s) from the spent wash.
CSIR-NAL and CSIR-CIMFR
CSIR-NAL for carriage, handling and stores release clearance for a fighter Aircraft Upgrade.
CSIR-CIMFR for controlled blasting techniques developed for safe extraction of minerals and construction of various civil infrastructure projects.