PT Usha has been conferred with the prestigious IAAF Veteran Pin Award at the 52nd IAAF conference in Doha.
PT Usha at IAAF Congress Doha 2019
PT Usha, India's former athlete and Olympian, has been awarded the prestigious International International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) Veteran Pin Award. PT Usha shared this information with a picture on Twitter recently. She tweeted and thanked the IAAF. Also, she talked about the requirement to promote athletics in the country.
PT Usha Tweeted, "Expressing my deep gratitude towards IAAF and President Sebastian Coe for awarding me the Veteran Pin at the 52nd IAAF conference in Doha. I look forward to continuing contributing to the growth of athletics in our country!"
PT Usha was honoured with this prestigious award during the 52nd Congress of the IAAF held in Qatar on 24 September. She is famous for her stellar performance in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. She reached the final of the 400 m hurdles at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984 but missed the bronze medal by a hundredth of a second.
About PT Usha
• PT Usha was born on 27 June 1964. An athletics coach O.M. Nambiar was the first person who recognized the talent of PT Usha in 1976.
• In 1978, she won 14 medals in Kerala State College meet and won multiple medals at 1979 National Games.
• PT Usha won 200m, 400m, 400m hurdles at the 1986 Asian Games at Seoul. She is known as ‘Payyoli Express’.
• She also won five gold medals in 1985 Asian Games in Jakarta.
• She received the Arjuna Award in 1983. Two years later in 1985, she was also awarded the Padma Shri.
About IAAF Veteran Pin Award
IAAF Veteran Pin Award is given to those players who have made matchless contributions to athletics. In 52nd conference of IAAF, PT Usha was awarded this award for her contributions to the sports. IAAF president Sebastian Coe presented IAAF Veteran Pin Award to PT Usha.